Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Telephone Message according to the following instructions given in Chinese. Remember to write the message in no more than 60 words in the Composition/Translation Sheet.
1. 来电人：霍尼韦尔(Honeywell)公司的Mr. Johnson
3. 事由：Mr. Johnson明天要出差去北京，因此原定与Mr. White后天上午的约会只能取消，等出差回来后再与Mr. White约时间会面。
To Mr. White
Time: 10 a.m. , 25th June, 2002
Message: Mr. Johnson of Honeywell Company will leave for Beijing on business tomorrow. He wishes to cancel his appointment with you on the morning of the 27th. He will contact you for another appointment when hi is back.
Words for reference:
电子部Electronic Device Section; 推荐信reference
I have just seen your advertisement in Beijing Evening News of the 6th August for a salesman in the Electronic Device Section of your company. I’m very interested in the job and I feel I’m qualified to meet the requirements. I’m therefore enclosing a resume together with reference from my supervisor.
As you can see, I once worked in the Electronic Department. So I am familiar with different kinds of electric devices. I have worked more than once as a salesman in some stores during my previous vacations. Besides, I’m very patient and friendly in nature. I’m confident that I shall be suitable for the kind of job.
If you need any further information, I shall be very pleased to supply it. Or I wonder if you will grant me with an interview.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.
1. I wish to apply for the position of cashier advertised in today’s china daily.
2. I am very interested in the position, and I’m trying to apply for it.
3. In reply to your advertisement in today’s…(newpaper) for a …, I hasten to write this letter of application for the post.
4. I believe that my ability and experience will fully qualify me for the position of…
5. I am enclosing my CV/personal history which I believe will show you why I feel I can meet the requirements of a cashier in your company.
6. Have you an opening in your company for a young man who believes that he has something to offer?
7. I should be grateful/much obliged if you could gave me an opportunity to try to serve you in the position.
8. I hope you will take my case into your consideration.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of applying for admission to a university in a foreign country to further one’s studies according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write no less than 80 words on the Composition Sheet.
Oct. 9th, 2004
Dear Sir or Madam:
My name’s He Feng. I graduated in 1998 from Nanjing University majoring in
chemics with a B.S. degree. I got excellent results in all the university.
With a view to get some advanced studies, I am writing to you to apply for admission to your
University to persue my M. S. degree. I am also applying for a scholarship or a teaching assistantship which will enable me to your university sooner.
Enclosed please find letters of recommendation, which, I hope, will meet your satisfaction.
Thanking very much for your consideration and looking forward to your early reply.
1. I am writing to you hoping to study in your university in the fall of 2005.
2. It is my wish to enter your university in the spring of 2005.
3. It is the height of my ambition to further my studies in the field of physics in your university.
4. I hope you will take my case into your consideration.